The Media Federation of Australia Limited (ABN 29 153 606 681) (MFA or We/we or Our/our or Us/us) is committed to respecting the privacy of your personal information.
- our online properties (here and after, each a “Website”), including:
- personal information provided to us by our members and customers and personal information collected by us on behalf of our members and customers as a result of the provision of professional services to our members and customers; and
- any other means through which an individual provides personal information to the MFA, including either physically or electronically.
Personal information is important to the MFA
The MFA is committed to safeguarding personal privacy. It recognises that you have a right to control how your personal information is collected and used. Providing personal information is an act of trust and it is taken seriously. Unless given consent to do otherwise, the MFA will only collect and use personal information as set out below.
Anonymity and pseudonymity
- Where practicable, we will allow you to deal with us on an anonymous or pseudonymous basis. If this is practicable, our Collection Channels will seek information in this way. However, where it is not practicable for the purposes for which information is collected, we will seek the information identified below
Kinds of Personal Information that the MFA Collects and Holds
- Personal information that may be requested or collected by us includes:
- contact information such as your full name, date of birth, age, telephone number, mobile telephone number, current and valid email address, residential address and postcode;
- more detailed contact preferences;
- information regarding your personal and professional interests and your networks;
- information about your employment including your employer and job title and the nature of your role;
- information about your location including where you work;
- information about your employment history and future plans, and documents relating to your employment;
- information about your education and qualifications;
- complaint details;
- information about your experience with our products or services or third party products or services listed on a Website . This information is requested in order to tailor our subsequent communications to you and continuously improve our products and services;
- your credit card details (where you purchase any products or services from us);
- the contact details of third parties. If you are asked to provide details about other people, please ensure that these individuals are happy for their details to be given to the MFA and used for the purposes set out in this policy (which may include using their details for marketing purposes);
- any other personal information requested or required by a Collection Channel.
- When you use a Website, we may also collect personal information about you in the following general categories:
- device information: we may collect information about your mobile device such as the hardware model, operating system, preferred language, unique device identifier and mobile network; and
- other information: we may also collect and log information such as your IP address, access dates and times, browser type and pages visited when you interact with a Website.
- We will only collect sensitive information with your consent. Where you provide us with any sensitive information (including, but not limited to, information about your racial or ethnic origin, religious affiliation, political opinions, sexual orientation and/or medical history) we will only use this information for the purposes stated on the Collection Channel.
How the MFA Collects and Holds Personal Information
Active Information Collection
- Personal information may be collected (and combined) via our Collection Channels if you:
- sign-up and/or register to become a member of any Collection Channel, or provide your details to us via any Collection Channel;
- purchase a product or make a booking via a Collection Channel;
- use our event registration systems;
- use our online exam platform;
- subscribe to any newsletters, updates, alerts or news and media releases, or request launch or event information or information about our products or services or other information services as well as third party products or services;
- complete and submit any forms or surveys to us, either physically or electronically;
- conspicuously publish or provide on request your personal information to the MFA;
- contact us directly in person or via any medium including mail, telephone, social media and commercial electronic messages (SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Message Service), IM (Instant Messaging) and email) including via the contact details listed on a Website;
- participate in any competitions, offers, promotions or marketing activities;
- interact with a Website for a specific purpose; or
- interact with or browse a Website generally.
- Personal information is requested in order to facilitate or provide you with certain content, products or services, and information about such content, products or services (including the uploading, access to, and receipt of content on a Website, and purchase transactions undertaken on a Website), marketing materials, newsletters, electronic newsletters (e-newsletters), news and media releases / launch information, and also to advise you of other MFA or third party products, services, offers, competitions or events which may be of interest. No one is obligated to provide personal information. However, failure to do so may result in the MFA being unable to facilitate or provide you with certain content, products or services, products or services information, upcoming promotion, competition, offer or event information or accept competition entries (where applicable).
- We may also obtain your personal information from legitimate third party sources including list brokers, referral agents and other data providers or organisations that share data in circumstances where it is lawful and/or you have given permission for them to do so.
- Personal information will not be collected by any person who is known by the MFA to be under the age of fifteen (15) without the consent of a parent or legal guardian. Persons under age fifteen (15) may only use our Websites with the involvement and consent of a parent or legal guardian.
Passive Information Collection
- As with many commercial websites, the MFA may also collect information which tells us about visitors to our Websites. For example, we may collect information about the date, time and duration of visits and which pages of a Website are most commonly accessed. This information is generally not linked to the identity of visitors, except where a Website is accessed via links in an email we have sent or where we are able to uniquely identify the device or user accessing a Website. By accessing a Website via links in an email we have sent and/or by accessing a Website generally, you consent to the collection of such information where it is personal information.
- Our Websites may use and combine such passively collected anonymous information or personal information from various third party sources, including as described in paragraph 15, to provide better service to Website visitors and users, customise a Website based on your preferences, compile and analyse statistics and trends, and otherwise administer and improve a Website for your use. We may combine your visitor session information or other information collected through tracking technologies with personally identifiable information from time to time in order to understand and measure your online experiences and to determine what products, promotions and services are likely to be of interest to you. By accessing a Website, you consent to information about you being collected, compiled and used in this way.
- For more information about cookies and how you can opt out, you can visit http://www.youronlinechoices.com.au/.
- Mobile platforms such as iOS and Android generally define certain types of information or data that applications cannot access without your consent. Each platform has its own permissions system for obtaining your consent. For example, the iOS platform generally alerts you the first time an app wants permission to access certain types of data, such as location services, and will let you choose whether or not to consent to that request. Android devices will generally notify you of the permissions that an app seeks before you first use the app, and your use of the app constitutes your consent. You can generally manage your platform level permissions via the Settings section on your device. For more information, please contact our Privacy Officer at the details set out in this policy.
Purposes for which the MFA collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information
- Personal information collected will be collected, used and/or disclosed for the following primary purposes:
- For the purposes stated in a privacy collection statement on a particular Collection Channel.
- If applicable, to administer exams, including registering you for the exam, reporting back to you with your results, to provide you with notices, to maintain a register of exam results, to report back to our members about your exam results, to and compile exam information and statistics.
- To administer events, including for registration purposes.
- To maintain the functionality of a Website, including the provision of information to you relating to the content available on the Website and e-commerce transactions conducted via the Website.
- To send you any technical, administrative or legal notices important to our Websites and services generally.
- To provide you with information about your transactions (including uploading, access to, and receipt of content on a Website, and purchase transactions undertaken on a Website), content, services and products.
- To provide direct marketing materials, events, special offers, competitions and promotions in person and via any medium including mail, telephone and commercial electronic messages (SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service), IM (Instant Messaging), email) or any other form of electronic, emerging, digital or conventional communications channel.
- To maintain our relationship with you.
- To render services related to the MFA (including guidance enquiries).
- To provide you with training, including online training.
- To undertake recruitment for the MFA.
- To provide you with newsletters via mail and electronic newsletters (e-newsletters) via commercial electronic messages.
- To respond to member and customer enquiries.
- To improve Website and systems and programs administration.
- To obtain opinions or comments about products and/or services and to conduct other research and development.
- To record statistical data for marketing analysis and to conduct market research.
- To share personal information with the MFA group companies, our promotional partners and other trusted third parties in the manner described below.
- To collect, hold, use and disclose personal information as stated above, for the purpose of providing professional services to our members and customers.
- For the purposes described above, personal information may be shared with MFA group companies, MFA promotional partners, MFA members and customers and other trusted third parties (and their directors, servants and agents) either in Australia or overseas. Failure to provide personal information may result in the MFA being unable to provide you with certain content, information, upcoming promotion, event or product information and/or accept promotion entries (where applicable).
- In order to operate a Website or deliver a service (including, for example, processing of credit card payments), personal information may also be shared with MFA group companies, selected service providers and/or other trusted third parties either in Australia or overseas. MFA group companies, selected service providers and/or other trusted third parties may be engaged by the MFA to perform a variety of functions, such as data storage, processing credit card payments, fulfilling orders, conducting market research, assisting with promotions and surveys, providing online training and providing technical services for our Websites. These companies may have access to personal information if needed to perform such functions. Your credit card details are only used to facilitate your booking and/or purchase and are not permanently stored. They are not used for any other purpose.
Contact by the MFA
- The MFA (and its directors, servants and agents), MFA promotional partners or trusted third parties (and other selected service providers and other non-MFA companies or professionals) either in Australia or overseas, may contact you via telephone, SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service), IM (Instant Messaging), email, post or any other form of electronic, emerging, digital or conventional communications channel using the information provided in order to contact you in respect of the primary purposes for collection of personal information as stated above.
- Despite removing your name from the database from receiving future advertising and marketing information, the MFA may send you non-commercial “Administrative Emails”. Administrative Emails relate to an MFA user account and may include administrative and transaction confirmations, requests and inquiries or information about a particular MFA user account. If you do not wish to receive such communications from the MFA, you may remove your name from the database by utilising the functional unsubscribe facility.
Ability of others to view information
- The MFA may provide areas on a Website where you can upload user-generated content, post or provide information about yourself, communicate with other users, provide reviews for content, products and/or services or interact with or vote on particular content. This information may be shared with others and may be publicly posted on our Websites, including without limitation, other social media platforms and other public forums in which you choose to participate. This information may become publicly available and may be read, collected and used by others outside of our Websites. The MFA is not responsible for the conduct of others who may read, collect and use this information.
Your right of access
- You have the right to access and review your personal information that may be recorded on the MFA database. Information may be reviewed by contacting the MFA’s privacy officer via email: email@example.com or telephone: 02 9282 9634. Please allow 30 days for this request to be processed.
Changing and deleting the information we have about you
Information contained on the database may be amended, or your preferences for contact from us changed, by contacting the MFA’s privacy officer via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 02 9282 9634. Please allow 30 days for this request to be processed.
In the same way, a request may be made to delete personal information, and all reasonable steps to delete the information will be made, except where it is required for legal reasons. Deletion of information may result in the MFA being unable to facilitate or provide you with information about certain transactions (including the uploading, access to, and receipt of content on a Website, and purchase transactions undertaken on a Website), other content, services or product information, upcoming promotion, competition or event information, and/or provide certain content, goods or services.
- We are not responsible for removing your personal information from the lists of any third party who has previously been provided your information in accordance with this policy.
Storage and security of personal information
- The MFA will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any personal information recorded (including your credit card details), and to keep this information accurate, up to date, complete and relevant. The information is stored on secure servers that are protected in controlled facilities. This service may be performed on our behalf and data may be hosted by our selected data storage providers. When you enter sensitive information (such as credit card numbers) on our Websites, we encrypt that information using Secure Socket Layer technology (SSL). For further information about credit card payments, see our Security Policy below.
Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients
- In some cases, the MFA may disclose your personal information to overseas recipients. MFA employees, data processors and other trusted third parties including industry associations are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by the MFA. However, security of communications over the Internet cannot be guaranteed, and therefore absolute assurance that information will be secure at all times cannot be given. The MFA will not be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to personal information.
The MFA and links to other websites
- Our Websites may, from time to time, contain links to the websites of other organisations which may be of interest to you. Their inclusion cannot be taken to imply any endorsement or validation by us of the content of the third party website. Linked websites are responsible for their own privacy practices and you should check those websites for their respective privacy statements. The MFA is not responsible, nor does it accept any liability, for the conduct of companies linked to our Websites.
- We may use third party advertisements on our Websites. All third party advertising, if paid for, is paid for by the relevant third party advertisers and are not recommendations or endorsements by the MFA or any of its affiliates. The MFA is not responsible for the content (including representations) of any third party advertisement on a Website. Cookies may be associated with these advertisements to enable the advertiser to track the number of anonymous users responding to the campaign. We do not have access to or control of cookies placed by third parties.
Related the MFA Websites
Sale of the Company
Problems or queries
Address: Suite 105, 54 Foveaux Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010
Telephone: 02 9282 9634
Please allow 30 days for this request to be processed. If you do not receive a satisfactory response from the MFA to your query, problem or complaint within 30 days, you may refer your query, problem or complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner via the contact details listed at http://www.oaic.gov.au/about-us/contact-us-page.